Tuesday 25 September 2012

A Sad Sight



My trusty pal Athena (that's her name, it says so on her label!) is looking a bit of a sorry sight. Her gorgeous chocolate skin has been in the sun too long, and now she's starting to peel!

I've had this tailor's dummy for a few years; she was one of my Nanny's charity shop finds and cost the grand sum of £8!

Originally I kept her in the conservatory, covered with a heavy duty plastic bin bag to keep out light and other debris (our conservatory is more of a workroom/rabbit house/storage room than a nice place to sit). Then somebody used the bag. And there was rain. And the conservatory roof leaked.

After much reorganising and upheaval, Athena has relocated to a cupboard in my room. Her slipping neck has been temporarily repaired with electrical tape and now I'm wondering how to solve the problem of her peeling skin.

Basically, she needs recovering.

And that's where I need your help.

I can't figure out how to do it! There's a drawstring at the bottom of her body, so the simple answer seems to be to make a new fabric cover for her. But the knobs and disks at the side (as seen in the picture) seem to be attached to the brown fabric. Honestly, I'm worried about trying to take it apart!

I have searched online for how to recover a tailor's dummy, but the results are either relating to recovering one for artistic purposes (a non-adjustable dummy) or recovering a dummy that adjusts by knobs in the centre, rather than at the side.

If anybody has any suggestions, please let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, Kei,..that definitely looks tricky. I wish I had some wisdom to offer, but I do not. So I'll just offer some luck and good wishes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suggest you to take off the brown cover, then see if under the brown there's any damage...and in the end, cover it with fabric.
    for the problem about the knobs...help yourself with scissors! I mean, don't take off the brown fabric in a rude way XD around the knobs, cut it off. :) kisses!

    ReplyDelete

Reading all your sweet comments makes me happy! :) I appreciate each and every one and try to reply to all that I can!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...