Saturday 29 October 2011

Tutorial: Gothic Raven-Flower Necklace

Since I’m sharing a necklace tutorial over on At Home with Mrs H today, I was going to hold off on posting this one...
But I caved. The temptation was too great, and what I have for you here is totally seasonal! 



I made this Raven Flower necklace for my friend Lilia (of Horror Shock Lolipop) as a birthday/Halloween present!

The raven cabochon and chain came from The Big Bead Boutique in Brighton, one of my favourite places for finding lovely things for my stash! The black flower beads, on the other hand, are probably slipping into the category of ‘retro’ now, since they came from my parents’ old stash! (You might remember those beads from my black flower ring tutorial!)

Of course this is a design that can be used for other themes and colours! For Lilia, I went for a gothic Halloween look :)

But enough of my rambling. On with the tutorial! 


Time needed: 30-60 mins (approx)

You’ll need:
35 inches of chain
Jump rings
Clasp
25x18 mm cabochon pendant setting
18x13 mm cabochon
3 shanked flower beads (buttons work just as well!)
Scrap of lace (or net)
Multipurpose glue and/or glue gun
Scissors
Cutters
Round-nose and flat-nose pliers
A file


1. Cut a piece of lace to fit inside the cabochon setting. I found (after some faffing) that the easiest method was to turn the setting upside down, rest the lace on top and carefully cut around it.
Spread a thin layer of glue in the cabochon setting and stick in your lace. 



2. File down the back of one of the beads to make it flatter.



3. Glue the cabochon into the bottom of the cabochon setting, against the edge.



4. Glue the bead you filed in step 2 into the setting to finish the pendant. I used a glue gun for this part.



5. Cut four lengths of chain: 2 x 9.5 inch, 2 x 8 inch.



6. Pair together the chains, one of each length (1 x 8 inch + 1 x 9.5 inch) and add a clasp to the end, keeping the 8 inch piece of chain on the bottom.



7. Join together the pendant and the other ends of the four lengths of chain with a jump ring, keeping the 9 inch pieces on the outside.



8. Add a jump ring to the back of one of your beads, without closing it.



9. Hook the end of the jump ring through the outer (9 inch) chain, 2.5 inches from the pendant end of the chain...



10. ...and link it to the  inner (8 inch) chain, 2 inches from the pendant end, then close the jump ring.



11. Repeat steps 8-10 for the other side of the necklace.



12. Go out and look awesome in your gothic masterpiece :) And remember to brag if anyone asks where you bought it!


Partying as usual at the linkies in the side bar!

4 comments:

  1. Very pretty for something spooky. I love raven stuff for Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The necklace is very pretty, I love how it drapes down, love the raven also. Thanks for stopping by and joining Sunday's Best Party. Newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure if I can say this but .... it's very pretty! I love the lace and the drape of the chains. Thanks for sharing at Etcetorize~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could see all the pictures, but the once I can see are very pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Reading all your sweet comments makes me happy! :) I appreciate each and every one and try to reply to all that I can!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...